Getting Set Up With Slack
Step 1: Setting Up An Account
When you come in on your first day, we'll send you a Slack invitation link. Slack is our primary tool for corresponding with students, answering your questions, tracking your progress, and managing your online classroom experience. If you want to get a jump start on your first class and get set up before you even come in, you can follow this link and sign up in advance. If you come to class, we'll send the same link. Either way, when you click on the link, it will prompt you to create an account. You should see something like this:
Go ahead and fill in your email, then click Verify Email. Slack will then tell you to close that window, and go to your email inbox in order to continue. Go ahead and do that.
You should receive an email from Slack with the following message.
Go ahead and click Confirm Email. You will then be prompted to fill in your information and create a password.
Notice the rules for your display name. Your display name should be something that identifies you clearly. You can use any of the following:
- FirstNameLastName (ex: ArvinVohra)
- FirstInitialLastName (ex: AVohra)
- FirstNameLastInitial (ex: ArvinV)
Once you have filled in this information, click Next.
Step 2: A Few More Clicks
2. They will also ask if you want to invite any friends. You should click Skip For Now.
1. Next, Slack will ask you to agree to their Terms of Service. You can click Agree.
3. Finally, Slack will prompt you to take their tutorial. If you are getting set up before your first class, feel free to explore that tutorial by clicking Explore Slack. If you set up your account at some non-class time, feel free to walk through the tutorial. If you are getting set up during class for your first class, please click the blue link at the bottom that says Skip the Tutorial.
Step 3: Send us a Message!
Now you need to say "Hello"!
Once you've explored Slack and you're inside the workspace, Slack will show you your channels and direct messages. Everything in Slack, pretty much, happens in the channels. So, under Channels, look for your name. It should be bold, and have a little lock symbol next to it. Click on your channel, and you should see that all of our instructors have already joined!
This step is very important. In order to have any communication flow at all, you need to be in this channel. This is where we'll be able to help you with further instructions, technical issues, etc. So, make sure you do this step!
Go ahead and type hello in there and see what happens.
Step 4: Final Steps
Above you can see a lot of information. The first thing you should do is get your video working. You can follow this link to get set up with Rabb.it, either during your first class, or outside of class time.
After that, you can get started by following the instructions provided, whether it's your first class or your 100th!
As always, feel free to email us if you run into any trouble, during class or outside of class time!
Email us and we'll help you get set up for your first class!