Getting Set Up With Slack
Step 1: Setting Up An Account
When you come in on your first day, we'll send you a Slack invitation link. Slack is our primary tool for corresponding with students, answering your questions, tracking your progress, and managing your online classroom experience. If you want to get a jump start on your first class and get set up before you even come in, you can follow this link and sign up in advance. If you come to class, we'll send the same link. Either way, when you click on the link, it will prompt you to create an account. You should see something like this:
Go ahead and fill in your email, then click Verify Email. Slack will then tell you to close that window, and go to your email inbox in order to continue. Go ahead and do that.
You should receive an email from Slack with the following message.
Go ahead and click Confirm Email. You will then be prompted to fill in your information and create a password.
Notice the rules for your display name. Your display name should be something that identifies you clearly. You can use any of the following:
- FirstNameLastName (ex: ArvinVohra)
- FirstInitialLastName (ex: AVohra)
- FirstNameLastInitial (ex: ArvinV)
Once you have filled in this information, click Next.
Step 2: A Few More Clicks
2. They will also ask if you want to invite any friends. You should click Skip For Now.
1. Next, Slack will ask you to agree to their Terms of Service. You can click Agree.
3. Finally, Slack will prompt you to take their tutorial. If you are getting set up before your first class, feel free to explore that tutorial by clicking Explore Slack. If you are in class for your first class, please click the blue link at the bottom that says Skip the Tutorial. We will help you, during class, with any questions you have about getting set up and understanding the program.
Step 3: We'll Message You
Once you do all that, Slack will send us a message that you're ready to get started. We'll get you set up with your own private channel, and then we'll send you a message to get started. If you don't hear from us within a few minutes, feel free to send a message to the #general channel. As always, we are available via email at any point during or outside of class time.
Email us and we'll help you get set up for your first class!